Yes, iPhones on countertops and moleskins snuggly tucked in back pockets, we'll occasionally whip up a meal. Or martini. Some of us even bring in the fruits of our labours to have them devoured by the first 10 Rethinketeers to pass the picnic tables.
So with a thought to posterity, we're sharing our favourite recipes.
Have one you'd like to share? Send it along with a photo to exhib..@rethinkcanada.com.
Pizza with Roasted Garlic, Bell Peppers and Two Cheeses
"Best pizza ever."
Rethinker: Devin Leggett
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Slice top off garlic head; place in small baking dish. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Brush baking sheet with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Place onion slices on sheet and brush onion with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
3. Bake garlic and onion until garlic cloves are light brown and soft and onion is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool.
4. Using fingers, squeeze out roasted garlic cloves into food processor; add sun-dried tomatoes. Using on/off turns, process until almost smooth, adding enough reserved oil form sun-dried tomatoes to form paste. (Onions and garlic mixture can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
5. Preheat oven to 450° F. Place crust on baking sheet or pizza pan. Spread garlic paste evenly over crust. Top with mozzarella cheese, onion, pepper strips and feta cheese. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons basil and 1 tablespoon parsley.
6. Bake pizza until crust is golden brown and cheese bubbles, about 8 minutes. Transfer to cutting board. Cool 5 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons basil and 1 tablespoon parsley. Cut into wedges and serve.